Where Do You Get Your Protein?
The question that haunts most vegans like an angry, annoying horse fly who just won’t go away is… where do you get your protein from?
Uhg, if I have to hear this question one more time I think my head might explode into a million smithereens! In all actuality the question doesn’t bother me at all, I’m just being a bit dramatic so this blog post stays exciting and keeps you guessing. In fact, when someone asks me this timeless question I see it as an opportunity to inform, educate and reprogram. Despite years of indoctrination or what some mistakenly call education, people today are hungry for truth and I am more then happy to give it to them.
When it comes to sharing truth, nothing gets me more excited than to give it to my right-neighborly meat and potato eating Standard American Diet consuming friends, family and whomever else will listen. You see, from the time we are born we are taught (drilled in the head via print, television and radio) that protein comes from meat and we have to eat it to stay strong and healthy.
The truth is, there couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact the consumption of meat products in America is grossly skewed and over consumed by the vast majority of Americans. The consequences of this ignorance and misinformation is evident when you look at statistics like those below.
- Heart disease is the number one cause of death for both men and women in the United States, claiming approximately 1 million lives annually.
- An estimated 80 million Americans have one or more types of heart disease.
- The South has the highest prevalence of obesity (29.4%) followed by the Midwest (28.7%), Northeast (24.9%) and the West (24.1%).
- Between 1988–1994 and 2007–2008 the prevalence of obesity increased in adults at all income and education levels
All the statistics above can’t be blamed solely on the consumption of meat products (let’s not forget about the dairy industry) but it is a very large contributor to the innumerable, fast growing rates of disease in both men and women. These men and women come from all walks of life, education and incomes. This silent, unspoken epidemic doesn’t discriminate, it goes after anyone who neglects to enLIGHTen themselves with living foods a.k.a. sunlight.
Although I lead a healthy vegan lifestyle, exercise, meditate and live relatively stress free, I’m not trying to turn everyone into vegans. I understand this karmic predicament and have walked the majority of my life in the darkness and fog of ignorance around nutrition, health and wellness. Now that I am free and clear of these food-like-substances that cloud the mind and gunk up the body I am very passionate about sharing my experience and what i have learned.
What I am concerned with is the vast amount of meat being consumed and the fact that most Americans have no connection with what they feed their bodies. Americans in general don’t think about what it takes to grow, feed and sustain an animal like a cow or pig. For instance the majority of people believe a hamburger or hot dog is just that, an inanimate food object. We fail to acknowledge the living breathing animal with a consciousness of its own. We fail to see the beautiful mother cow who should be grazing with her calf freely in a pasture. What we do see is a happy meal with a diet coke and french fries.
Somehow along the way we have collectively fallen into a trance like state and now we aren’t making the connection that the juicy steak sitting before us on the dinner table was once a living breathing animal.
It may sound a bit silly but for all its ridiculousness, this is how America (most of the world) operates. The system we have collectively agreed to adhere to does such a good job at distancing what is on the dinner table from what is in nature, we have all lost our most sacred connection both physically and metaphysically. If people don’t see a problem then there isn’t a problem, this way of thinking is why so many people are overweight, unhealthy, spiritually grasping and for lack of a better word… disconnected.
The Earth Needs Our Help
The truth is the demand for all this meat is taking a major toll on not only our health as a nation but the very environment we live in, including the air, water and soil. The way we eat not only here in America but around the world is having dramatic effects on our global environment and isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.
Animal factory farms in the United States produce over a billion of tons of animal waste each year, which the Environmental Protection Agency says is quickly polluting our fresh water supply. This is particularly bad news for human beings considering that more than 70% of our bodies are comprised of water. Our drinking, bathing and cleaning water has been contaminated with numerous poisons e.g., a rocket fuel additive called perchlorate, arsenic, trihalomethanes (a byproduct of chlorine) and pathogens.
Here is another fact that may blow your mind. When it comes to efficiency, we are doing a terrible job. Did you know a 10-acre farm can sustain 60 people growing the soy plant, 24 people growing wheat and 10 people growing corn. Are you ready for the other shoe to drop? That same 10-acre farm that supports numerous people with food can only be used to feed two miserable cows that should be free in nature!
The solution to end this horrific sucker punch to the environment is for everyone to be done with a meat based diet and adopt a high plant based diet. When I say high plant based diet I mean 80% fruits, vegetables, nuts, seed, legumes and seaweeds. The other 20% is open for whatever, at the current rate the majority of us are eating well over half our diets with meat products. This high rate of animal product consumption is not only unsustainable but unethical.
The Best Vegan Alternative to Animal Protein is Hemp
Despite what Tyson Farms, Oscar Myer or your local meat department at the grocery store would have you believe, there are far better plant based vegan sources of protein that will not only sustain the human body but you will thrive. In addition to blessing the body with high vibrational living food protein making the shift to a conscious lifestyle you will be contributing to improving our environment and the people that live in it.
There is nothing more encouraging than to meet someone who looks healthy, feels healthy and is beaming with sunlight from the core of their being. There is no faking this authentic type of human being, you know it when you see it, the life-force is radiating from the essence of their human beingness and this warmth, this light, this natural state of being is contagious.
One of my personal favorite sources of vegan protein is the hemp seed. The hemp seed despite all the misinformation out there has no psychoactive effects on any person or animal that consumes it. Consuming hemp seeds, oil or protein powder will not make a person fail a urine test at work.
Hemp protein (hemp seeds) comes from the plant Cannabis Sativa and is just one of the amazing benefits we obtain from this crafty and sturdy plant. Not only does Cannabis Sativa yield the most amazing natural protein sources known to man but the plant it can also be used after the seeds are taken for its fiber. The fiber from the plant can be used to make clothes, fabric, rope and even fuel.
I personally love the Nutiva brand of hemp products. I live here in southern California near their headquarters in Oxnard and have had several opportunities to meet the CEO and founder John Roulac as well as many of his employees. After getting to know the company I can say with confidence all of their products are of the highest quality and they work tirelessly to ensure we get the best product at the best prices hands down.
In fact, we only use Nutiva hemp and chia seeds for our business Open Source Organics and our raw vegan food truck, the Open Source Truck. Our intention at Open Source Organics is to provide people with the most high vibrational enhancing food available, we do our research thoroughly to ensure we provide the people with nutritious, conscious living foods that benefit the mind, body and spirit.
Hemp Seed Health Benefits
The benefits of hemp seeds, oil and fiber are innumerable. The only reason hemp is not the staple protein fuel, paper and fabric source in America is because there are too many vested interest at stake. There are billions of dollars in the meat and dairy industry and millions of those billions are spent to keep farmers from being able to grow hemp here in the United States. All hemp seeds we get in America are mostly imported from Canada where hemp is legal to grow. Below is a short list of some of the most amazing benefits gained from consuming organic hemp seeds.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids: There are fatty acids the body (in ideal conditions) produces on its own they are called non-essential fatty acids. The other type of fatty acids are called essential fatty acids (EFA’s) in which we have to get from other biological matter via plants or animals. If we ensure that we get enough essential Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids we greatly lower chances of suffering from heart disease, high cholesterol, or high Triglyceride levels. In addition these fatty acids help us to maintain a healthy brain, bone, skin and metabolism.
- All 21 Amino Acids: Hemp also has all 21 amino acids, this includes all 9 essential amino acids, the amino acids our bodies cannot produce on its own. One of the most alluring benefits to this amazing seed is that it is a complete, delicious vegan protein. When compared to animal protein it is clear to see, hemp protein in the human body manifest tremendous benefits and opportunity for biological enhancement. Amino acids are essential for the production of protein, without them there would be no protein, hemp seeds have all 21 amino acids!
- Controls Blood Sugar: Hemp has a high amount of healthy lean protein and yields high amounts of glucagon. Glucagon is a hormone produced in the pancreas and helps raise low levels of insulin. Glucagon is a natural remedy for anyone working to control diabetes.
- Abundance of Energy: Anytime you give the body food it recognizes (living foods, sun foods), the body is going to thrive and respond with an abundance of long lasting and sustainable energy. Unlike meat products eaten for protein, hemp doesn’t have any negative side effects like making the blood acidic for instance. In fact, hemp seeds and other hemp products only enhance the body, mind and overall spirit of a person.
- Weightloss Management: Most people stress themselves out when trying to lose unwanted body weight. We tend to reach and grasp in the dark for anything that might work, including the innumerable number of fad diets on the market. One of the biggest concerns of people trying to lose weight is, where will I get my protein from. Well if you include hemp seeds in your diet, protein is no concern. Hemp seeds have all the essential amino acids which are used to naturally make protein by the human body.
My conclusion is this, don’t listen to me! I beg of you to do the research yourself and if you may be so bold try reducing the amount of meat you ingest significantly and substitute with alternative vegan sources of protein, ideally hemp protein, I recommend Nutiva brand hemp products.
I can tell you from my own experience after having lived over 30 years eating meat products then switching to a conscious lifestyle and vegan diet, there is more than enough natural protein to sustain the human mind, body and spirit. You will thrive and be full of sunlight-energy!
This really isn’t something you can hear and benefit from you actually have to do the work and find the courage to jump in with both feet. I promise, if you can stick with it, slowly but surely you won’t even want meat products anymore. Once one brings light and consciousness to the body-temple a whole new world opens up, a world that has to be experienced not talked about.
With love and gratitude,